Well, as a way of making sure I post at least once a week, this series is doing its job so far – even if I haven’t had time to post in between lists.
This week’s list of celebrities and other persons of note who have cropped up in my family history research. Some of them are distant relatives by marriages (and have been mentioned on this blog before); the others are direct relations.
- Tony Benn – Not news to long time readers of this blog as it’s been mentioned before but the Howellses and the Benns are joined by marriage, as recorded on thepeerage.com. By virtue of this marriage, I can also include
- Hilary Benn, and
- Margaret Rutherford – her father having changed their name from Benn after murdering his father…
- John Edward Emile (Von) Holtorp – Another relative by marriage I’ve mentioned before (his son married my great-great-aunt), Holtorp was a member of the General Council of the International, alongside Karl Marx.
- Frank Bough – yes, that Frank Bough. His wife Nesta (née Howells) is my third cousin once removed.
- Rees Howells – Nesta’s great-uncle and the founder of the Bible College of Wales. I talked a bit about him in this podcast, and he’s on Wikipedia too.
- Richard John Blackler – My great-great-uncle and the founder of Blacker’s, a large department store that operated for about 80 years in the centre of Liverpool. George Harrison briefly trained as an electrician there in the 1960s. The old store building is now host to a number of smaller outlets including a Wetherspoons pub called The Richard John Blackler.
Got any interesting/notorious/celebrity relatives? Do share in the comments 🙂